12 killed as Kogi govt. moves against herdsmen
Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi is likely to bring all options to the table as his government plans to set up a judicial panel of inquiry to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the March 14 herdsmen/farmers clash that claimed several lives in Ogane-Enigu.
Bello while addressing troops of 913 Battalion of the Nigeria Army stationed at Aloko-Ogane-Enigu, Dekina Local Government, disclosed that there was need to end the hostilities and restore peace to the affected communities.
He said that the armed bandits were poised to sack the communities but were contained by security agencies that included the Army, Police and the DSS .
“The primary responsibility of any government is to secure lives and property. We shall not play politics with the lives of our people.
“We shall unravel everything that is behind these attacks. By the grace of God, this attack is going to be the first and the last in this place and the state.
“As a government, we will, as much as possible, comfort the families affected and ensure that those injured received prompt medical attention,” he said.
The governor had earlier undertaken an on-the-spot assessment visit to the troubled communities in Ogane-Enigu and Ojuwo-ajomaigbi in Dekina and Bassa Local Governments respectively.
Mr Aaron Baba, a member of Ojuwo-Ajomaigbi community, whose father was killed in the attack, told the governor that 12 people were buried along with his father, adding that many others were still missing.