Breaking: Finally, Kaduna APC Executive affirms Shehu Sani’s suspension
By Nasir Dambatta
The APC State Executive Council in Kaduna has rejected the declaration of the National Publicity Secretary of the party that Senator Shehu Sani’s suspension was invalidated.
In a terse media statement by the APC’s Assistant Publicity Secretary, Malam Tanko Wusono, the State’s party leadership declared that it would not sacrifice all the efforts so far at successfully strengthening the party structure, ensuring disciplinary measures were taken against all members without fear of favor.
The party executive the exploded:”Therefore, we affirm the indefinite suspension of Shehu Sani for serial indiscipline and violations of the Party Constitution, and further clarify that the Constitution of our Party does not bestow any powers on the national headquarters to quash the decisions of the Ward, Local Government and State Executive of the Party. You cannot join the party at your ward level, proceed totreat the same party with utmost contempt for three years, then delude yourself into a belief that the national headquarters can now declare you a saint, and impose you on the state party!”
The full statement
The Kaduna State Executive of the APC wishes to make the following categorical statements:
1. The Kaduna State APC will not sacrifice its cohesion, discipline and unity for political expediency. We have waged a long and consistent struggle to uphold respect for the Party, its constitution, and party spirit so that this party can grow and fulfil the hopes that inspired its formation.
2. Therefore, we affirm the indefinite suspension of Shehu Sani for serial indiscipline and violations of the Party Constitution, and further clarify that the Constitution of our Party does not bestow any powers on the national headquarters to quash the decisions of the Ward, Local Government and State Executive of the Party. You cannot join the party at your ward level, proceed to treat the same party with utmost contempt for three years, then delude yourself into a belief that the national headquarters can now declare you a saint, and impose you on the state party!
3. The party shall support only those who uphold its substance and spirit, and it cannot condone the opportunism of people who having used the APC to get tothe Senate, began rebelling against it as soon as they got to Abuja. Article 9.2(i) of the APC Constitution clearly states the obligations of members.“Members of the Party shall be obligated to affirm the party’s aims and objectives and conduct themselves in a manner that shall not bring the party to public odium and disrepute. Members of the party shall also observe the rules and regulations embedded in this Constitution.”
4. Article 21A (i-xi) of the APC Constitution lists offences for which a member is liable to disciplinary action. Shehu Sani has violated several of these, before and since his suspension. We are not a party of anything goes! Shehu Sani is on indefinite suspension from the APC. The process for his suspension was initiated in December 2015 by the Party Executive in Ward 6, Kaduna South Local Government, which suspended him for 11 months. Shehu Sani’s indiscipline, his disrespect for the APC, and the whole notion of party spiritpersisted during the first suspension. Therefore it was extended to indefinite suspension, with the endorsement of the State Executive Committee of the party.
5. Since 2015, Shehu Sani has engaged in unremitting hostility to the APC, joining the gang-up against the party in the Senate. At the national level, the utterances in which he has ridiculed the party and President Buhari are well-chronicled.
6. In Kaduna State, Shehu Sani has since July 2015 opposed everything the APC and the government it installed has tried to do. On Security, Education, Law and Order, and Social Welfare issues, he shamelessly diverged from party position with an enthusiasm and recklessness that even the opposition parties in the state did not demonstrate. We recall the undisguised glee with which he denied Kaduna State the $350m loan the World Bank had adjudged the state eminently qualified to access. This loan was to help improve lives by building more schools, hospitals and vital infrastructure. We cannot sit with such a renegade except he can reverse course and ensure that we get our loan, among other conditions.
7. While on suspension, Shehu Sani joined Suleiman Othman Hunkuyi in an attempt to factionalise the APC in Kaduna, opening a parallel secretariat and claiming to have their own chairman. The Kaduna State APC swiftly defeated this attempt at factionalisation. We were dismayed that rather than promptlyapplying the provisions of the party constitution to punish factionalisation, the national headquarters of the party constituted a “fact-finding” committee.
8. While Suleiman Hunkuyi has left our party after trying and failing to destroy it, his partner in indiscipline, Shehu Sani, is desperately trying to hang in because he has sought, but not found, greener pasture. His posters are all over Kaduna without the name or logo of the APC, or indeed any party. Everyone recalls how he was the loudest of the irresponsible lot that over several weeksthreatened the party with defection, only to relapse into customary cowardice, unable to join his allies in carrying out the threat.
9. The Kaduna State APC issues this as a notice that we will robustly insist on our prerogatives. We will not indulge those that have betrayed our people. And we call on the national headquarters to uphold party spirit, respect its Constitution and avoid the appearance of taking loyal party members for granted, or treating traitors as heroes.